Saturday, April 14, 2007

finding time amidst the maelstrom

Work has been amazing. Virtually no personal time whatsoever. Challenging, exciting, but all absorbing.

I'm slowly becoming accustomed to it, but still am greatly challenged setting boundries.

Turnaround work - essentially what I'm doing - always involves putting out huge fires, but when the day ends at midnight - as it does sometimes - and begins before 7 am, there's little time for oneself.

I bought a laptop to take with me on the road. A SONY Vaio. It's not as small as I'd like, but about 5 lbs. Actually, my wife bought it. With my new job, she's had to rise up and assume so many financial responsibilities she's never had before. I'm quite proud of her and her accomplishments.

In essence, she bought the new house - something I've always done. She did a very good job. She's quite efficient, even when she's uncomfortable. She's also amazingly practical, possessing insights to the transaction I would have overlooked. She's also taken the lead with the relocation.

I hope I have time to post more and restart the carnivals. You've all been so good to me, it's the least I can do.

Next week I have to rebuild a very large division of a very large company. I initiated fairly aggressive thoughts and they've taken on a life of their own. It's going to be very hard medicine. In my heart I know it's the right thing, but it will be very difficult to swallow and very difficult to give. Moments like this make you question how you'd feel looking in the mirror - you ask yourself, "how strong are my convictions". Only through your convictions can you look back at yourself, knowing the unpleasant conversations that will follow.

Regards, makingourway

No comments: