Tuesday, April 24, 2007

a busy job and blogging

It's amazing how difficult it is to find time for financial blogging when I'm so busy with work.

So much time has passed since I've actually been challenged with work, though honestly, I feel the current work load is pushing limits. Re-organizing a business, full attention from the c-level executives and large operating responsibilities are fun, but a heavy burden.

The situation is so different than the past. Not enought to challenge me or keep me busy. Certainly it's a distraction from my personal finances as well as from the blogging community.

I do think about my finances, but have less time to do so. In response I actively ask myself, am I watching my cash flow? Am I accientally spending more or keeping things constant.

Every week I spend a partial evening catching up in Quicken, tracking where I've spent money and comparing cash balances. So far, things look pretty good. The rest of my time is spent with my family. I miss them tremendously when I'm travelling. Right now it seems like I'm one the road 80% of the time.

Weekends are almost entirely consumed catching up and being with each other. The young children want to hug me all the time, afraid that I'll leave any minute. As they grow older, I think they'll understand that I'll be back in a few days.

There's so little time left for financial blogging.

The question is:

To be fully engaged and challenged with a job that's exciting or to be less fully engaged - maybe disengaged and slowly building financial independence through a personal business or income producing investments (usually real estate). In most circumstances these income producing assets usually involve lots of labour - either to find them, manage them or rent them. Which provides a better life style? How long does it take for real estate investments to provide a six figure income? Does it really rival a c-suite income with stock options, etc...? What's the likeliness I can obtain such? is it better to be a CEO or an independent investor?

Regards, makingourway

No comments: