He met his sweetheart on jdate and can't wait to see her two months from now.
He finds her wonderful, attractive and excellent company - I'm very excited for him!
However, she's very far away. They can't pursue the everyday intreractions that most would be able to pursue if they were physically together. His challenge: how to keep interest growing to help bring about their eventual in person meeting.
After a bit of thinking we created the following virtual dating list. Oddly, after we created the list I had an epiphany, but I'll get to that after the list:
- see a movie and discuss it over the phone
- backgammon and other on-line casual games at yahoo or msn
- read a book and discuss a different chapter every day
- second life
- everquest ii or world of warcraft etc… don’t push this one too hard – may backfire and she'll think you're a geek
- get a web cam to see each other when you talk online via skype
- play 21 questions
- 5 things no one knows about me
- do some surveys together
- do the personality profile survey together to learn psychological compatibilities (ala please understand)
- you can plan FL vacation together (keep doing it if already started)
- cyber sex - concern that it would grow old before the real sex happened
So there's our list. What would you add to it? I know that some of my readers have had long distance relationships ($2M for one - being a travelling man at times). What can you recommend to keep the excitement in a long distance relationship? I am curious and my friend would be very grateful for your advice and recommendations.
Now here's the epiphany. Mr. makingourway is spending 3-5 days a week on the road. He sees his wife on weekends and some times during the week. Is his marriage turning into a long distance relationship? Should the makingourway's be trying the items on the list? That was my epiphany.