If we were to create a composite image of ourselves, what would it be like? How would we characterize ourselves?
What makes us worthy of having a carnival discussing financial issues specific to our demographic?
I have a proposal? Can we work together to help define ourselves (before marketers do it for us)?
Here are some thoughts:
- Stable in our career paths with managerial and (emerging) executive roles
- Growing households - no longer in starter apartments
- Married, partnered or intended to be, or intended to never do so
- Increasing earnings, with rapid increases due to promotions
- Finished with formal education, unless considering a career change
- Established dependents; children or relatives children that we support
- Saving for college for our children or the children of others
- Our parents are nearing retirement, if not recently retired
- Concerned about our parents retirement, but not necessarily sandwhiched, just yet
- Technologically savvy
- Open and well informed of the new investment paradigms (modern portfolio theory, passive index investing, mutual funds and ETFs, more complex trading for some)
What would you add or remove from the list above? It's far from complete.