I should clarify a few points:
- I have many computers at home. I only use the laptop at home for company purposes.
- When I'm on the road I ONLY have the company laptop and my private BlackBerry, which I own.
- I've been loading some helpful software onto the Blackberry - ToDoMatrix and Ascendo Data Vault (and Free Sudoku) to assist with various activities.
- When not logged into the VPN, while on the road, I have used the laptop for the following personal purposes:
- Skype to my family - added a cheap $30 portable video camera - not veyr good quality (Phillips)
- Personal e-mail
- Investments via Vanguard, etc....
- Chat via Yahoo for friends who do not skype
- DVDs (I plan to watch the second season of Entourage
I've been very nervous about running any specific software that stores confidential information, such as Quicken 2007 - even from a thumbdrive.
I have ordered a Sony PSP and look forward to playing games and listening to movies on it.
The fundamental issue, is that when I'm on the road, the laptop is all I have when I'm not reading books or watching cable TV - which seems limited to HBO.
In general, I'm not out carousing and getting myself into trouble. I usually use the evening hours for extra work - but too little recreation will lead to burnout.
Ultimately, I wonder if I'll need to carry a second notebook for personal use. However, carrying so much, just doesn't make sense. I do miss having the ready hand on my finances. The pile of receipts on my desk, though downloaded into Quicken, is still uncategorized and growing.