Since my wife's job is likely to be in the suburbs, we'll look for a home in the Chicago suburbs.
Here are our housing search priorities (at this moment):
- Within a reasonable distance from my wife's office (in case of emergencies, etc...)
- Near a great school system
- Near a great montessori school (I think we'll start them there)
- Spacious houses (I'd settle for 3,500 sq feet, but I'd like something bigger) - with grandma and grandpa on board we need liebensraum (sp?)
- Neighbors with children close to the age of ours
- A backyard we can fence in for the children to play
- A community with strong values, especially education-oriented
- Neighbors with similar professional and business leadership interests
- Lots of activities and recreation for children
- Near costco (less than 10 miles)
Well these are the priorities we can think of.
One benefit of moving to Chicago is that we can probably have a basement - no basements in NC.
One of the downsides is that the houses we're looking at cost between $800k - $1.2M. Big difference between IL and NC.
Still saving 5.25% in income tax should offset some of the additional expense - at least the larger property tax and some of the mortgage.
Have a great weekend,