A very good friend of mine, with whom I had worked many years, referred me to another mutual colleague (and friend) who is a fast rising star at a large firm in the Chicago area.
Our colleague had tried to help recruit me for another position with their firm in the past, but this time had an opening for a senior role in his organization. We discussed the role, timing and family responsibilities, which he agreed were very important - especially with our little one do so soon. He felt we could work out a low-travel, remote work plan until my family could relocate to Chicago next year. The pay would be better than I'm earning in rural North Carolina and in general acceptable for a period of time. Combined with my wife's income, we'll be comfortable.
Bottom line: I'm in the running for the position. The job requisition has to be publicly posted for a week before he can make a formal offer. I have to avoid being to excited - too many things could happen to kill the deal - such as a more qualified candidate, an internal transfer within the organization or, although few admit it's possible, an act of nepotism. At this point I feel I have a firm 60/40 chance in my favor.
How will this impact our finances:
Not much - I wouldn't start until November.
- + Increased salary.
- - Travel expenses would have to be cash-flowed until re-imbursed - expect 60 days.
- - More expensive recreation activities with the family when I am home.
- - Possible wardrobe expenses - still seems like most of Chicago's culture is business casual inside the office and tie, sports jacket outside of the office - I'll have to examine the culture more.
- + Possibly better benefits.
- - Incidental travel expenses. I may consider picking up a condo in Chicago, but it might not be necessary if the travel schedule is indeed light.
- ? I'm not sure when I would be eligible for retirement benefits. I may have to take them through a family business rather than my new employer. This would cost me payroll taxes on the benefit - figure $2,250.
I will post about a long term analysis later.
blogger has crashed on me three times while writing this post!
Can anyone recommend a third party tool that will post entries to blogger?