Our networth declined only $28.79, this is in light of the following:
$989 in carpentry fees (30% over budget built in bookcases, laundry room tables & shelves, other imprv)
$650 gift to a sick relative
$643 in accounting fees
$3000 for a family vacation (spent $1000 less than planned)
$300 in last minute home decorating costs (1/2 of planned amount)
Auto $600 and landscaping expenses $450 were deferred until July.
We really didn't save as much money as I would have liked, but with the deluge of unusual expenses, it had to be expected.
Here is our asset allocation:
Thoughts for July:
- The family medical issue may not lead to a temporary disability situation. More still to come on this, but if we're lucky our immediate income will not be reduced. I still expect $15k - $20k reduction in neet income due to time off if all goes perfectly. Plus an additional $3-5k in related expenses. These extra expenses will hit in November - Happy Thanksgving!
- I visited family out of town (sick family member). All is going well with the family member, but I probably spent about $950 on the trip - again an unexpected expense.
- To help a relative attend a special education program, we paid $850 for their airfare as a gift. Once again, unplanned. I may be able to reduce other expenditures to offset some of it.
- We have deferred most of our income into 401ks in July. By end of month we will have hit our $15k contributed. We will make an additional contribution in Q3 or Q4 depending upon issues in #1. We will definately make a contribution before end of year.
- I will be changing jobs. I'm not sure how long it will take, but I expect it will have a substantial impact on family earnings. It will at least absorb the expenses in #1.
- half.com seems to be a very successful venue for selling DVDs. I have put several books online as well (professional books that I would like to sell while they are still current). I expect to have $160 - $350 in income this month from sales.
- County property taxes for our cars came to $900 this month. This will re-occur in another 6 months.
I'll put together another post discussing the status of our goals later this week.