Thursday, April 27, 2006

The shoe has fallen - final moving bill & damages

I received the final moving bill today.

It was about $2700 + my deposit, which put me at about $3500 total.
It was about $100 less than what I had expected they would charge. I'll put it in our MM.

It's possible that I could have fought for a $150 reduction in fees to recover lost productivity for a sick worker, however, this is a small rural community and hard nosed negotations of that sort tend to backfire outside of big cities.

There were some significant errors in the estimate. We were told it would cost about $3500 including packing.

We did almost all the packing ourselves, the movers told us we had so much packed that we saved about $4000 in packing charges.

However, this means that the cost of moving was grossly underestimated, because our total cost was virtually the same as the original estimate, which included packing.

We've taken this as a sign that we have too much stuff and must SHED. That's our new plan.

My personal goal is to give away at least 2 boxes of stuff every week.

I gave away a huge amount of furniture and possessions to the salvation army over the last two weeks. The people working there are wonderful! Adding everything up to calculate charitable contributions will be quite a bit of work, but it's part of my plan for today.

have a wonderful Friday,
makingourway

1 comment:

Dude said...

You might be able to get rid some of your things through ebay. One man's trash could be another man's treasure. Good luck.